Slow Cooker Sausage Stew
Slow cooker meals are such gems, saving you the guilt of resorting to the drive-thru or ordering take out one too many times. If you haven’t yet embraced the slow cooker, try this slow cooker sausage stew and you will be singing its praises! Sausage, potatoes, lentils, and grated Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar combine with delicious seasonings to create a hearty stew that’s overflowing with flavor. After you’ve made this stew, feel free to share the recipe on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter with family and friends!
Prick sausages all over with a fork and melt Cabot Salted Butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until browned on all sides and transfer to a plate and set aside. Then add onions (or leeks), shallots, and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened.
Scrape the onion mixture into the slow cooker. Add potatoes, ½ cup of chicken broth, green peppers, tomatoes, lentils, vinegar, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of rosemary, and the reserved sausages. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until stew is thick. Add more broth toward the end of cooking, if needed. Season with salt and pepper and top with cheese and remaining rosemary to serve.
For another hearty slow cooker meal, try our Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Cabot Jack Cheese. Cabot has relied on our farm families to make the highest quality dairy products for over 100 years. Our commitment to quality is what makes our products stand out from the rest – and why you’ll love our recipes. We’d love for you to rate and review this slow cooker sausage stew once you’ve made it!
- 8 uncooked medium sausages
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 medium onion or leek, chopped
- 4 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½-1 cup chicken broth
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- ¾ cup dried lentils
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- PRICK sausages all over with fork (to keep them from bursting).
- MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- ADD onions or leeks, shallots and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- SCRAPE onion mixture into slow cooker. Add potatoes, ½ cup of chicken broth, green peppers, tomatoes, lentils, vinegar and brown sugar. Add 1 teaspoon of rosemary and reserved sausages.
- COVER slow cooker and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or until stew is thick, adding more of remaining broth if needed toward end.
- SEASON with salt and pepper. If stew is too acidic, add small pinch of additional brown sugar. Serve topped with cheese and sprinkled with remaining rosemary.
- per serving
- 31 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 12 grams
- 69 milligrams
- 1065 milligrams
- 41 grams
- 18 grams
- 30 grams
- 150 milligrams