Sourdough Discard Cheese Crackers
Here’s a way to turn sourdough discard into a versatile rustic cracker with cheddar cheese baked right in. Simply mix flour, starter, Cabot Butter and Cabot 2 Year Cheddar together to form a dough. After resting overnight to relax the gluten, roll out very thin. Bake in sheets, then break into rustic crackers for an artistic addition to a cheese board or for a snack on its own or to pair with Cabot cheddar.
- 1 cup sourdough discard
2 tablespoons melted Cabot Unsalted Butter
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- ¾ cup bread flour, plus more for dusting
2 ounces Cabot 2 Year Cheddar, shredded (½ cup)
- MIX sourdough discard, butter and salt together in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Add in flour and stir for a minute or so until evenly tacky dough forms. Add in cheddar and mix until incorporated.
- WRAP mixing bowl with in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- ARRANGE two oven racks evenly spaced in the upper and lower third of the oven. (Not lowest or highest position.)
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- CUT dough in half. Roll dough out thinly on heavily floured surface, about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into four sections. Transfer the dough sheets to the baking sheet, leaving space between each one. Sprinkle with additional salt if desired. Repeat with the second ball of dough arranging on the second baking sheet.
- BAKE the crackers for 15 to 20 minutes until just starting to brown in some areas. Rotate the baking sheets top to bottom, and then continue baking until the crackers are dried out and evenly browned, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Let cool completely then break into rustic crackers. Store in an airtight container for two days or freeze up to three months.
- Serving Size
- 1/12 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 3.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 10 milligrams
- 125 milligrams
- 10 grams
- 0 grams
- 3 grams
- 36 milligrams