Southern Pecan Cheese Ring
10 to 12
“Israel has long been known as the land of milk and honey. By combining honey and apples, this traditional Southern Georgia recipe, which was brought to the White House by President Jimmy Carter’s wife, magically transformed into a delicious Jewish one!”
12 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, finely grated (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 very small onion, finely grated
- Dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 ounces apple jelly or jam
- Wheat crackers
- COMBINE cheese, pecans, mayonnaise, onion and red pepper in a large bowl; stir together thoroughly. Lightly oil 3-cup ring mold or line with sheet of plastic wrap, cutting out hole for middle; press cheese mixture evenly into mold.
- COVER with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight until firm.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine apples and honey; bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes until apples are slightly softened. Stir apple jelly or jam into apple mixture; let cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- WHEN ready to serve, unmold cheese ring onto large serving platter. Drizzle some of apple mixture over cheese ring and spoon remainder into center. Serve with crackers.
- per serving
- 33 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 9 grams
- 40 milligrams
- 330 milligrams
- 31 grams
- 2 grams
- 10 grams
- 250 milligrams