Spicy Hot Potato Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
Love a spicy potato soup that’s also loaded with creamy cheddar? Then this recipe is guaranteed to be a winner, as it has not just one, but two kinds of spicy peppers – poblano chilies and jalapeno peppers. And that’s not all! It also uses two kinds of Cabot cheese – Pepper Jack and Lite50 Sharp Cheddar. The combination of these two peppers and two cheeses result in a thick, hearty cheddar potato soup with just the right amount of heat and tang. Top each serving with crumbled bacon for even more of that loaded potato flavor! After you make this soup, please feel free to share the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter!
To make, cook the bacon in a large pot until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot. Add carrots, poblanos, onion, jalapenos, garlic, and cumin and sauté until golden brown. Then add in potatoes, chicken broth, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover pot, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
In the meantime, gradually whisk milk into flour in a bowl. Once the milk and flour mixture is smooth, slowly whisk it into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soup is thickened. Remove pot from heat and add cheeses, stirring until melted. Crumble bacon, ladle soup into bowls, and top each bowl of soup with crumbled bacon and chopped green onions.
As a co-operative of New York and New England farm families, Cabot takes a lot of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this spicy potato soup, so please rate and review the recipe once you’ve made it.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped poblano chilies
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2½ cups skim milk
5 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack, grated (about 1¼ cups)
2 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated (½ cups)
- ⅔ cup chopped green onion
- COOK bacon until crisp in a large pot. Transfer to paper towel and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot.
- ADD carrots, poblanos, onion, jalapenos, garlic and cumin; sauté until golden brown. Add potatoes, chicken broth and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to maintain gentle simmer, cover pot and cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- WHISK milk into flour until mixture is smooth. Slowly whisk milk mixture into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soup is thickened, about 12 minutes.
- REMOVE pot from heat. Add cheeses, stirring until melted.
- CRUMBLE reserved bacon. Ladle soup into bowls and top with bacon and green onion.
- per serving
- 5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 16 milligrams
- 505 milligrams
- 19 grams
- 5 grams
- 13 grams
- 283 milligrams