Spicy Pork & Cheddar Empanadas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound lean ground pork
- 1 cup canned petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme leaves, crumbled
- Salt to taste
- 1 box ready-made pie crust rounds
4 ounces Cabot Private Stock Founders’ Cheddar, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- HEAT oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet; add onions and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds longer.
- ADD pork and cook, breaking up with spoon, until fully cooked. Add tomatoes, cumin and oregano or thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until juices have nearly evaporated. Remove from heat, taste mixture and season with salt if needed. Let cool to room temperature.
- PLACE rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- TAKE crust rounds out of package and let sit until softened. Scatter cheese evenly over one round. Place second round on top, pressing it down; on lightly floured surface, roll pastry out into thin layer, about 1/16-inch thick.
- CUT circles from dough with a 3-inch cutter or inverted glass. Press scraps together, then reroll dough and cut out more circles.
- PLACE about 2 teaspoons filling on half of each circle; moisten half of edge with water, fold dough over filling and press together to seal. Brush tops with egg mixture and place on baking sheets.
- BAKE for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 4 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 grams
- 12 milligrams
- 70 milligrams
- 5 grams
- 0.5 grams
- 3 grams
- 29 milligrams