Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
4 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh sage
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 ounces Cabot Garlic Herb Cheddar, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- PREHEAT the oven to 425°F and place rack in the center of the oven.
- MELT the butter in a skillet on medium high heat and toss in sliced mushrooms. Add fresh thyme and sage. Let sit and stir occasionally. When the pan looks dry, add in chicken stock, ¼ cup at a time. Turn to low and let simmer to cook the mushrooms down.
- CUT pockets in the chicken breasts: Place a cutting board on the counter, making sure that it is steady and doesn’t slide around. Lay a chicken breast on the cutting board and press your hand on top to hold it into place. Insert the tip of a sharp chef’s knife into the center of the thickest part of the breast. First, cut a slit that is 4 inches wide in the thickest part (leave the thin end uncut). Then, use the knife to make the opening deeper, cutting ¾ of the way through the breast towards the other side. Do not cut all the way through. Repeat with the remaining breasts. With paper towels, pat the chicken dry, then sprinkle the outsides with ¾ teaspoon kosher salt.
- STUFF the inside of each chicken breast with large handful of spinach and grated Cabot Garlic Herb Cheddar (¼ cup cheese per breast). Secure the opening with toothpicks, threading the toothpicks so that they are parallel to the counter (1 or 2 toothpicks per breast).
- HEAT the olive oil in a large, oven-safe, non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Place the stuffed chicken breasts on the skillet along with crushed garlic cloves. Sauté until lightly browned on each side, but not cooked through.
- TRANSFER the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the chicken registers 165°F on an instant read thermometer. Transfer to a plate, cover and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- SERVE the chicken breasts topped with the sautéed mushrooms.
- Serving Size
- 1/4 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 35 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 150 milligrams
- 1040 milligrams
- 10 grams
- 2 grams
- 3 grams
- 41 grams
- 429 milligrams