Stovetop Cheeseburger Macaroni & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
If you want to enjoy a rich, hearty, and flavorful dish, you have to make our Stovetop Cheeseburger Macaroni & Cheese recipe. This nourishing bowl of comfort can be enjoyed for a warming lunch, a family dinner, and would most certainly be a popular dish at any potluck party or other gathering. Try it out and be sure to share it with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Before you dive in and make this dish, get all of your ingredients together. You’ll need pasta (fusilli, rotini, and macaroni all work well), Cabot Unsalted Butter, 1 shallot (minced), all-purpose flour, fat-free milk, Dijon Mustard, garlic powder, pepper, Cabot Extra Sharp Yellow Cheddar (shredded), ½ pound ground beef, and 1 medium Roma tomato (diced).
Cook your pasta according to package directions and drain well. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat, then add the minced shallot and cook until slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over the shallot, stirring to dissolve flour into the butter and make a roux. Whisk in milk until all flour is incorporated and then whisk in seasonings. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, continuing to whisk constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheddar until completely melted into the sauce. Brown the ground beef until cooked through and stir together with sauce, cooked pasta, and chopped tomato in a large pot. Enjoy immediately!
If you loved this recipe, you’re certain to also love our Philly Cheesesteak Macaroni. As a co-operative New England and New York dairy farm families, Cabot takes a lot of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your thoughts about our Stovetop Cheeseburger Macaroni & Cheese recipe, so please rate and review it once you’ve tried it.
- Salt for pasta water plus ¼ teaspoon, divided
- 13 to 14 ounces dry pasta, such as fusilli, rotini or macaroni, whole-wheat if desired
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
6 ounces of Cabot Yellow Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium Roma tomato, diced
- BRING a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- PREPARE pasta according to package. Drain well.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring until the shallot is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Make roux by sprinkling flour over the shallot and stir to dissolve flour into the butter. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until all of the flour is incorporated into the milk. Scrape along edges of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula make sure no roux remains in the corners. Whisk in Dijon, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- REMOVE the sauce from the heat. Stir in shredded cheddar and whisk until completely melted into the sauce.
- BROWN ½ pound ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- STIR the hot cooked pasta, sauce, browned beef and diced tomato in the pasta pot. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size
- 1 cuo
- per serving
- 15 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 50 milligrams
- 340 milligrams
- 40 grams
- 2 grams
- 19 grams
- 225 milligrams