Stovetop Smoked Ham and Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
Are you one of many who just love how broccoli, ham, and sharp cheddar cheese go together? Then this Stovetop Smoked Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is a must try – and by that, we mean now. Don’t be surprised if this becomes a new family favorite recipe. You may just find that you get requests for it often – for everything from regular weeknight meals and birthday dinners, to Valentine’s Day dinners and potluck parties. Be kind and share the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Once you have all of your ingredients ready – pasta, unsalted butter, one minced shallot, all-purpose flour, fat-free milk, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar (shredded), steamed broccoli (chopped), and smoked ham (cubed) – begin by cooking pasta according to the package directions. Make the cheese sauce by following our recipe instructions below. When everything is ready, stir the hot cooked pasta, sauce, broccoli, and ham together in a large pasta pot. Then sit back and enjoy a truly delicious meal!
Looking for another savory dish with broccoli and cheese? Try our Cheesy Broccoli Casserole. Crushed Ritz crackers give it a crunchy topping that makes it extra special! Did you know that Cabot is a cooperative of over 1,200 farm families and that we work with some of the best dairy farms in the country to produce our award-winning cheeses? We know you’ll love all of our recipes that feature our cheddar cheeses and would love to hear your thoughts about this stovetop smoked ham and broccoli macaroni and cheese. We’d be grateful if you’d take a few minutes to rate and review it once you’ve tried it.
- Salt for pasta water plus ¼ teaspoon, divided
1 box of Dreamfields Rotini
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, white if desired
6 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cups chopped steamed broccoli
- 1 cup cubed smoked ham
- BRING a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- PREPARE pasta according to package when water boils. Drain well.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat while pasta is prepared. Add shallot and cook, stirring until the shallot is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Make roux by sprinkling flour over the shallot and stir to dissolve flour into the butter. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until all of the flour is incorporated into the milk. Scrape along edges of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula make sure no roux remains in the corners. Whisk in Dijon, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- REMOVE the sauce from the heat. Stir in cheddar and whisk until completely melted into the sauce.
- STIR the hot cooked pasta, sauce, broccoli, and ham in the pasta pot. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size
- 1 cup
- per serving
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 35 milligrams
- 520 milligrams
- 37 grams
- 2 grams
- 16 grams
- 210 milligrams