Summer Vegetable Home Fries
Breakfast & Brunch
When it comes to cheesy dishes that are flavorful, filling and extremely nutritious, summer vegetable home fries are tough to beat. This lactose free, cheesy home fries recipe offers up eight servings of fresh and tasty vegetables that are covered in delicious Cabot cheddar. This dish can be served with breakfast as a hearty side option, or it can be served as a healthy main dish for brunch of lunch. As far as recipes go, this one is surprisingly easy to prepare, and it’s a great dish to serve up for a family breakfast on the weekend. After trying out this recipe, please make sure to rate and review it. Also, feel free to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Cheesy home fries are delicious, healthy and satisfying. They’re also fairly simple to make, as this particular recipe only calls for basic ingredients like cheddar and fresh summer vegetables. This dish calls for four medium, skin-on russet potatoes, olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic, eight cups of your favorite chopped summer vegetables (we suggest onions, mushrooms, squash, zucchini and red peppers) and, of course, cheddar. We suggest using Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, or Cabot White Oak Cheddar. Then, after washing and preparing the vegetables, cooking the potatoes, and placing everything in the oven, the dish will be ready to go. This is a wonderful dish to serve for a special occasion, like a family breakfast or large get-together, and it’s bound to be a popular one.
Cabot is a cooperative of New York and New England dairy farm families that have worked closely to produce award-winning dairy products for years. Because of that, we at Cabot are absolutely positive that any recipe featuring our dairy products will be a sure-fire hit with your family. However, we also place customer satisfaction as one of our highest priorities, which is why after trying this cheesy home fries recipe, we encourage you to rate and review it. We want to know how we can improve this dish and your input is a big part of that. If you like the recipe, make sure to share it with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter!
- 4 medium, skin-on russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups mixed summer vegetables (such as onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, green beans, red peppers or green peppers), chopped
- CUT potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook until a fork will easily pierce potatoes (about 5 minutes). Drain.
- HEAT 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. When oil is hot, add cooked potatoes and use a spatula to stir so that potatoes are coated with oil. Add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and garlic. Let potatoes sit, undisturbed for 4 minutes to crisp up on one side.
- REMOVE from heat. Transfer potatoes to an oven-safe casserole dish.
- PREHEAT broiler to high.
- HEAT remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add vegetables, stir to coat with oil, and sauté for 4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover immediately. Steam vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes until they are tender, but still a little crisp.
- TRANSFER vegetables to dish with cooked potatoes and top with cheese.
- PLACE the dish under broiler, about 4 inches from the heat. Cook until the cheese melts (about 2 minutes). Serve hot.
- Serving Size
- 1/8 recipe
- per serving
- 14 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 23 milligrams
- 445 milligrams
- 27 grams
- 3 grams
- 9.5 grams
- 193 milligrams