Vegetable, Egg & Cheddar Strata
Breakfast & Brunch
If you want to liven up your morning, our vegetable, egg and cheddar strata is the perfect place to start! This brunch casserole features a base of baked bread cubes layered with eggs, veggies, and cheese. Once the egg strata is baked you can cut it into squares that are easy to serve and eat. Whether you want to break out a new recipe for family brunch or you’re looking for the perfect dish to entertain guests, our hearty egg strata will get the job done! Make sure you rate the dish and share a review for the other brunchers out there. Your tips and ideas can help others put a personal spin on the dish to make it extra delicious!
If you love quiche or frittata, introduce this egg strata recipe to your brunch repertoire. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet, packed with nutrients and vitamins. Combining kale with onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers will provide you with all the nutrition you need to get your day started right. The eggs add the perfect amount of fluffiness to balance the richness of the breading, while thyme and nutmeg add subtle spice notes. Our award-winning Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar will deliver the cheesiness to round out the egg strata with a flavor that is out of this stratosphere!
Our egg strata is mess-free and easy to eat, which makes it ideal for serving at a luncheon or meeting. No matter the setting, it’s sure to be a hit that you will return to again and again! Don’t forget to write a review for our egg strata recipe and let us know how you enjoyed it. Cabot is committed to providing our customers with the highest quality dairy products on the planet, and we would love to hear your comments and feedback!
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 large bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and torn into pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt plus ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes of bakery-style whole grain bread (about 1 large loaf)
- 3 cups skim milk
- 6 large eggs
- COAT 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onions, mushrooms and red peppers and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes longer. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in thyme, ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and nutmeg; remove from heat and set aside.
- PLACE half of bread cubes in even layer in baking dish, then top with half of vegetable mixture and half of cheese. Add remaining bread cubes, then remaining vegetables and cheese.
WHISK together milk, eggs and remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread, vegetables and cheese in baking dish. Cover with foil and press down slightly to help egg mixture soak into bread. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden brown on top and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serving Size
- 1/8 recipe
- per serving
- 14 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 164 milligrams
- 484 milligrams
- 34 grams
- 3 grams
- 18 grams
- 353 milligrams