Vegetable Frittata with Alpine Cheddar Sauce
Breakfast & Brunch
If the family is looking to try something different for dinner, this vegetable frittata recipe is the perfect new dish to whip up. This classic Italian egg dish features a rich cheese sauce that is utterly delicious. It makes four servings, making it a great recipe to make for a weeknight dinner or a lunch. After trying this recipe, please share it with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
This vegetable frittata recipe is easy to make and only uses the simplest of ingredients. You’ll need Cabot Unsalted Butter, all-purpose flour, low-fat milk, Cabot Alpine Cheddar, fresh herbs (you can use basil, parsley, cilantro or oregano), salt and cayenne pepper.
Read the recipe directions below to learn how to make the frittata and the rich, creamy Alpine Cheddar sauce. Just keep in mind that, when preparing the frittata, it’s important not to rush things along. Additionally, note that when the egg mixture is placed on the skillet, it should only take two minutes or so for the frittata to puff up and turn a light golden brown.
Looking for another phenomenal cheesy vegetable frittata recipe? Our Caramelized Onion and Spinach Frittata with Cabot Light Cheddar is a must try! Cabot is a cooperative of 800 farm families and we’ve been working for years together to create some of the best dairy products in the world – there’s a reason why our cheeses have won so many awards! We take a great deal of pride in our products and recipes, so after trying this vegetarian frittata recipe, please make sure to rate and review it. We know your family will love this dish.
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cups of lowfat (1%) milk
4 ounces Cabot Alpine Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro or oregano, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups seasonal vegetables such as summer squash, zucchini and tomatoes or asparagus, mushrooms and spring onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Alpine Cheddar Sauce:
To Make Cheese Sauce:
- MELT butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- WHISK in flour. Cook mixture for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and keep whisking for 2 minutes until mixture is slightly thickened. Slowly add cheese, whisking until each addition blends into sauce.
- STIR in salt, cayenne and herbs. Keep warm.
To Make Frittata:
- HEAT olive oil and butter in an 8-inch, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add vegetables and ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add water, cover, and steam vegetables for 2 minutes.
- PREHEAT broiler to high.
- BEAT eggs, egg whites, ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper in a large bowl until foamy.
- POUR egg mixture into pan with vegetables. Cook over medium-low heat until the eggs are set around the edges but the center is still wet, 3 to 4 minutes. Place skillet under broiler for 2 minutes until the frittata puffs up and turns a light golden brown.
- REMOVE pan from oven and cool slightly. Cut frittata into 4 wedges and each with ¼ cup cheese sauce.
- per serving
- 29 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 13.5 grams
- 336 milligrams
- 896 milligrams
- 12 grams
- 1 grams
- 22.5 grams
- 355 milligrams