- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup beer or milk
1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
12 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, (or substitute Horseradish Cheddar for part of the cheddar), grated (about 3 cups)
- 4 thick slices hearty bread
- Optional additions: fresh tomato slices and/or crisp bacon strips
- WHISK egg in small bowl until frothy and yolk and white are completely combined; set aside.
- SET a bowl over pan of simmering water or in double boiler. Combine beer or milk, butter, mustard and cayenne.
- WHISK in cheese gradually after butter is melted. Continue stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- WHISK in beaten egg and continue stirring for several minutes until mixture has thickened again (do not allow it to boil or it will separate).
- TOAST bread. If desired, top each toast with tomato and bacon. Spoon rarebit over the top.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 26 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 129 milligrams
- 526 milligrams
- 18 grams
- 3 grams
- 22 grams
- 588 milligrams