Apple Crisp with Cabot Cheddar
Adding cheese to the crumble of a simple apple crisp brings this classic dessert to an entirely new, extremely loveable level. If you already love a good cheddar apple crisp, you’ll want to give this recipe a try. And if you’re unsure about the whole cheese and apple pie combination, we encourage you to make this – we trust you’ll become an instant fan! And once you do, be sure to convert friends and family members by sharing the recipe on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter!
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F and buttering the bottom and sides of a 10” cast iron skillet. Then, whisk the flour, oats, and brown sugar in a medium bowl to combine. Add in the melted Cabot Salted Butter, using a spoon or spatula to work it into the mixture until crumbly. Add the shredded Cabot New York Extra Sharp (or Cabot Seriously Sharp) cheese and mix in to combine. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the apple slices and lemon. Add the brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg, and toss to coat the apples. Pour the mixture into your prepared skillet and add the topping to cover the apples.
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown. Serve straight out of the oven or, even better, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Digging the apple and cheddar combo? Then you’ll enjoy our Caramelized Apples with Cheddar for a snack that’s both savory and sweet. As a cooperative of over 800 farm families, Cabot is dedicated to creating the highest quality products and recipes that best showcase the fresh flavors of our products. Please share your thoughts on this Cheddar Apple Crisp recipe after you’ve tried it by rating and reviewing it.
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
8 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, melted
8 ounces Cabot New York Extra Sharp or Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 5 – 6 medium apples (3 pounds) peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 10” cast iron skillet.
- WHISK the flour, oats and brown sugarin a medium bowl to combine. Add the melted butter. Using a spoon or spatula, work the butter into the mixture until crumbly. Add the cheese and mix in to combine. Set aside.
- COMBINE the apple slices and lemon In a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, flour and nutmeg. Toss to coat the apple slices. Pour the mixture into your prepared skillet. Add the topping to cover the apples.
- BAKE for 30 to 40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- per serving
- 17 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 50 milligrams
- 220 milligrams
- 50 grams
- 3 grams
- 8 grams
- Free Field (Mg)
- 185 milligrams