Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust
If you’ve never made an apple pie with cheese before, you don’t know what you’re missing! We urge you to give this apple pie with cheddar crust recipe from Beth Kennett at Liberty Hill Farm in Rochester, Vermont a try. Enjoy it on its own or with Beth’s recommended topping of Cabot Greek Yogurt. She says, “I love to use Cabot Greek style yogurt for the topping on pies in place of whipped cream. Cabot makes Strawberry and Vanilla Bean that are great as dessert toppings”. After making this scrumptious pie, share the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
To make a cheddar cheese apple pie that serves 8, begin by preheating your oven to 375°F.
For the Cheddar Cheese Pie Crust:
Combine all-purpose flour and salt in a large bowl and then cut the Cabot Salted Butter into the mixture until it reaches a crumbly texture.
Next, mix the egg, apple cider vinegar and cold water together and add to the flour blend. Be careful not to over mix.
Divide the dough into 2 parts and roll out each half. Place ½ of dough in the bottom of the pie plate and pat it into place.
For the Filling:
Combine the apples, sugar, maple syrup and spices in a large bowl. Add ½ cup of fresh cranberries, if desired.
Top pie with other ½ of rolled out crust. Trim and crimp crust, or create any crust design that you’d like.
Bake at 375°F for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven when crust is nice and brown.
If you love this recipe, we know you’ll also want to try this Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese that incorporates cheese in the filling, but not the crust as this one does. Cabot is a co-operative of New York and New England farm families. We work hard to produce our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your feedback on this apple pie with cheese recipe so, if you have a chance, please rate and review it.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup very cold water
- 4 cups peeled, cored, thinly sliced apples
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F.
- COMBINE flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into mixture until it reaches a crumb-like texture.
- MIX egg, vinegar, cold water together and add to the flour blend being careful not to over mix. Fold in grated cheese. Be gentle or the dough will be tough.
- DIVIDE into 2 parts and roll out each half. Place ½ of dough in the bottom of the pie plate. Pat into place.
To make the filling:
COMBINE apples, sugar, maple syrup, and spices in a large bowl. Add ½ cup fresh cranberries if you choose. Pour mixture into pie plate. Top apples with thin slices of Cabot Cheddar. (Orne Meadow, Farmhouse Reserve, or Seriously Sharp – your preference.)
- TOP pie with other ½ rolled out crust. Trim and crimp crust, or create any crust design that you’d like.
- BAKE at 375°F for about 45 minutes and remove from oven when crust is nice and brown.
- per serving