Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Mac & Cheese
Baked macaroni and cheese has long reigned as the quintessential comfort food. It’s the perfect dish for a family dinner or potluck picnic, and will bring a smile to any face after a long day. This recipe, featuring a simple how to make video, uses award-winning Cabot cheddar cheese and a crunchy breadcrumb topping for a richer, more satisfying flavor than you would get from a name-brand boxed package. With just a hint of zingy spice, this mouthwatering dish will have everyone in the family asking for a second helping. Be sure to leave us a review to let us know how much your family enjoyed the meal and to share any tips for making the dish with added flair. Your feedback can help other families share in the rich goodness that this macaroni dish has to offer. For an equally delicious, low-fat mac and cheese alternative, check out our Low Fat Mac & Cheese recipe!
The added dashes of Tabasco sauce will give the baked macaroni and cheese a slight kick, which perfectly complements the rich creaminess of the melted butter and Cabot Vermont Sharp, Extra Sharp or 2 Year Cheddar. The crunchy, buttery breadcrumb topping is the perfect way to finish off the dish and your family will come running as soon as it’s out of the oven. This dish is easy to make and will be well worth the time when everyone raves about the meal.
If your family loves satisfying, home-cooked comfort food, be sure to give this baked macaroni and cheese recipe a whirl! Cabot is dedicated to making the world’s best dairy products on family farms, and our high-quality cheddar cheese sets this dish apart. Once your family has wiped their plates clean, be sure to head back over and share your thoughts with us!
- 2¼ cups uncooked small elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 3 slices firm white or whole wheat bread, pulsed into crumbs in processor or blender
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Several dashes Tabasco Sauce
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Butter 9-by-13-inch or other shallow baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- STIR macaroni into large pot of boiling salted water; cook for 5 minutes after water returns to boil, or until outside is cooked but center is still firm. Immediately drain in colander and rinse under cold water; set aside.
- HEAT milk to just below a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat or in microwave on high power for 20 second intervals.
- MELT butter over medium-low heat or in microwave. Pour 2 tablespoons of this melted butter into bowl, add breadcrumbs and blend together thoroughly; set aside.
- REDUCE heat to low, add flour to butter remaining in saucepan and whisk over heat for 2 minutes, being careful not to let it color. Add warmed milk in small amounts at first, whisking until smooth after each addition; continue stirring until sauce thickens and comes to simmer. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat and whisk in salt, pepper, nutmeg, Tabasco and half (2 cups) of grated cheese. Stir in drained pasta.
- SPREAD one-third of pasta mixture over bottom of prepared baking dish. Scatter one-third of remaining cheese on top. Spoon another one-third of pasta on top and add another one-third of cheese. Top with remaining pasta. Mix remaining cheese into breadcrumbs and scatter evenly over top.
- BAKE uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size
- 1/8 recipe
- per serving
- 27 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 15.5 grams
- 732 milligrams
- 37 grams
- 1.5 grams
- 5.9 grams
- 22.5 grams
- 525 milligrams
This recipe is a great base for any add-ins of your choice. Feel free to play around with pasta shape, add in protein, or change up the types of cheese to make it your own.