Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Summer is here and that means it’s the season of block parties and backyard BBQs. If you’re looking to add something new to the barbecue spread, be sure to try these hearty black bean veggie burgers. Eating meatless has never been so delicious! Our lactose free black bean veggie burgers are loaded with sweet potato, black beans, and Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar for a filling and tasty alternative to traditional beef burgers. Whether you’re a vegetarian or just love to grill up new dishes, our black bean veggie burger recipe is sure to be a hit at your next cookout! Once the grill has cooled down, be sure to share a review to let us know how you enjoyed the dish. Your tips and comments can help fellow grillmasters barbecue these burgers to perfection!
When it comes to veggie burgers, it’s all about what’s inside. One can of black beans mix with ½ cup of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of flour to provide a hearty base for the burger patties. Combined with ½ cup of sweet potato, as well as sautéed onions and beets, these burgers will be heaven for sweet potato lovers. A zesty blend of spices including parsley, thyme, coriander, and lemon juice will accentuate the burgers. Top it off with our famous Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar to bring out all the complex flavors that a black bean veggie burger has to offer.
People will be lined up around the block for a taste once these burgers hit the grill. Whether you’re grilling to ring in the summer season or celebrating the Fourth of July, you can’t go wrong with this black bean veggie burger recipe. We would love to hear your thoughts on the recipe, so please review and rate the dish and let us know how it fared at your barbecue.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely diced fresh beets (optional; if omitting beets, increase cooked sweet potato to 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
¼ cup King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup mashed cooked sweet potato
7 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1¾ cups), divided
- Juice of ½ lemon
- HEAT 1 tablespoon of oil in medium skillet over medium heat; add onions and beets, if using, and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes longer; set aside.
- COMBINE beans, breadcrumbs, flour, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme and coriander, in food processor; pulse 5 to10 times until combined.
- TRANSFER mixture to large bowl and add sweet potato, 1 cup of cheese, lemon juice and reserved onion/beet/garlic mixture.
- MIX by hand to combine, then shape into six burgers.
- HEAT remaining tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-low to low heat. Cook burgers until browned on both sides and heated all the way to center, about 10 minutes. Top with each burger with about 2 tablespoons of remaining cheese.
- SERVE on whole wheat buns, half whole wheat pitas or over salad greens, along with your favorite condiments.
- per serving
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 35 milligrams
- 446 milligrams
- 29 grams
- 6 grams
- 15 grams
- 301 milligrams