In need of a tried and true cheese popover recipe? Perfectly crunchy and flaky on the outside and deliciously warm, soft and buttery on the inside, these cheddar popovers are the real deal. Once you’ve made them, you’ll be craving them often. But that won’t be an issue. Requiring just a few simple ingredients that you likely always have on hand, they’re quick and easy to make. Pass the popover love by sharing this recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
To make this cheese popover recipe, preheat your oven to 450ºF and place a popover pan or muffin pan (*see recipe yield based on the type of pan used below) on the middle rack in the oven while the oven preheats.
Combine eggs and milk in a large bowl, whisking until frothy, approximately 1 minute. Alternately, you can use a blender to mix.
Add flour and salt, whisking vigorously to blend until evenly combined (if using blender, add the flour and salt directly to the blender). Scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as you work. If you’re whisking by hand, it’s ok to have a few lumps.
Remove the hot popover pan or muffin pan from the oven and lightly coat each of the wells with cooking spray. Then fill the wells about ¾ full with batter for the popover pan (a little less in a muffin pan) and top each with the shredded Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar cheese, distributing as evenly as possible across all the wells.
Bake for 20 minutes at 450º, then reduce the oven temperature to 350º and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes. *If using a standard muffin tin or a mini-muffin tin, see alternate baking instructions in the recipe directions below.
Once baked, remove from the oven and turn popovers out of the pan. Serve immediately or reheat if having later.
For a delicious twist on these cheddar popovers, try our Cheddar Mini Pops with Apple and Cinnamon. As a cooperative of farm families, our goal is to make the highest quality and best tasting cheddar cheese and dairy products you’ll find. We’d love for you to rate and review this cheese popover recipe once you’ve made it!
- 3 large eggs
1½ cups whole milk
1 ½ cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- PREHEAT oven to 450ºF and place a popover pan or muffin pan* in the oven, on the middle rack while oven preheats.
- COMBINE eggs and milk in a large bowl and whisk until frothy, about 1 minute, or you can use a blender to mix.
- ADD flour and salt, whisk vigorously to blend until evenly combined, or add the flour and salt directly to the blender at this point if using. Scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as you work. If you are hand whisking, it is fine if there are a few lumps.
- REMOVE the hot popover pan or muffin pan from the oven and lightly coat each of the wells with pan spray. Fill the wells about ¾ full of batter for a popover pan, less in muffin pan and top each with the shredded cheese, distributing as evenly as possible.
- BAKE for 20 minutes at 450ºF then reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF, continue baking for 20 more minutes.
REMOVE from oven and turn popovers out of the pan. Serve immediately or reheat and enjoy later.
- per serving
- 6 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 grams
- 70 milligrams
- 320 milligrams
- 17 grams
- 1 grams
- 7 grams
- 114 milligrams
*If baking in a standard muffin tin, reduce cooking time by 5 minutes during the second half of cooking. If using a mini-muffin tin, reduce cooking time to only 15 minutes at 450°F.
Standard popover pan, yield = 6
Standard muffin pan, yield = 10
Standard mini muffin pan, yield = 40-48