Kids Mac and Cheese
Mac & Cheese
When looking for easy dinner recipes for kids, it can be difficult to find ones that are quick to make AND that your kids will actually like. One option your whole family will love is our kid-friendly mac and cheese recipe. This creamy dish is made on your stovetop using simple, nutritious ingredients and is a crowd-pleasing meal for all ages. It’s the perfect alternative to processed boxed macaroni and cheese and will become your family’s new favorite cheesy macaroni dish. Once you’ve made this kids mac and cheese, share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram – and be sure to use our handle @cabotcheese when posting on Instagram.
To make 4-6 servings, bring a large pot of water to boil.
Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, about 8 minutes. Drain well. Melt 8 tablespoons of Cabot Salted Butter in a large pot and add the all-purpose flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add the milk and whisk for 1 – 2 more minutes, until thickened and smooth. Turn off the heat and add the grated Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese, garlic salt, black pepper and onion powder. Pour in the drained pasta and stir until combined. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken. Serve and enjoy immediately!
For another kid-friendly mac & cheese dish, try our Stovetop Cheeseburger Macaroni and Cheese next. Cabot is a co-operative of farm families and we work hard to produce our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your feedback on this kids’ mac and cheese recipe, so please rate and review it when you have the chance.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles (can sub gluten free noodles!)
- 4 cups 1% milk at room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
6 cups Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
- BRING a large pot of water to boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, approximately 8 minutes. Drain well.
- MELT 8 tablespoons of butter in a large pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- ADD the milk and whisk for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
- TURN off the heat, add the Cheddar, garlic salt, pepper, and onion powder. Pour in the drained pasta. Stir until combined. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken. Serve immediately!
- Serving Size
- 1/6 recipe
- per serving
- 54 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 31 grams
- 170 milligrams
- 1360 milligrams
- 76 grams
- 3 grams
- 45 grams
- 1027 milligrams