Pepper Jack and Ham Popovers
Breakfast & Brunch
For a delicious twist on a traditional popover recipe, we added Cabot Pepper Jack cheese and diced ham. Whether you’re already a popover fan or you have yet to be won over, you’ll want to try this recipe – it’s a keeper! These are fabulous as breakfast popovers, to accompany a lunch or dinner, to serve as an appetizer or to enjoy for a satisfying snack. Share this recipe for savory popovers with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.
To make these filled popovers, preheat your oven to 450ºF and place a popover pan or muffin pan (*see recipe yield based on the type of pan used below) on the middle rack in the oven while the oven preheats.
Next, combine eggs and milk in a large bowl, whisking until frothy, approximately 1 minute. Alternately, you can use a blender to mix.
Add flour and salt, whisking vigorously to blend until evenly combined (if using a blender, add the flour and salt directly to the blender). Scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as you work. (Note: If you’re whisking by hand, it’s ok to have a few lumps).
Remove the hot popover pan or muffin pan from the oven and lightly coat each of the wells with cooking spray. Then fill the wells about ¾ full with batter and top each with the shredded Cabot Pepper Jack cheese and diced ham, distributing evenly across all wells.
Bake for 20 minutes at 450º, then reduce the oven temperature to 350º and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes. *If using a standard muffin tin or a mini-muffin tin, see alternate baking instructions in the recipe directions below.
Once baked, remove from the oven and turn popovers out of the pan. Serve immediately or reheat if having later.
If you loved this popover recipe variation, you’ll definitely enjoy our Cheddar Popovers. Cabot is a co-operative of farm families and we work hard to produce our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your feedback on this filled popovers recipe so, if you have a chance, please rate and review it.
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese shredded (about ¾ cup)
- 4 ounces diced ham (about ½ cup)
- PREHEAT oven to 450ºF and place a popover pan or muffin pan* in the oven, on the middle rack while oven preheats.
- COMBINE eggs and milk in a large bowl and whisk until frothy, about 1 minute, or you can use a blender to mix. Add flour and salt, whisk vigorously to blend until evenly combined, or add the flour and salt directly to the blender at this point if using. Scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as you work. If you are hand whisking, it’s ok if there are a few lumps.
- REMOVE the hot popover pan from the oven and lightly coat each of the wells with pan spray. Fill the wells about ¾ full of batter and top each with the shredded cheese and ham, distributing as evenly as possible.
BAKE for 20 minutes at 450º then reduce the oven temperature to 350º, continue baking for 20 more minutes.
REMOVE from the oven and turn popovers out of the pan. Serve immediately or reheat and enjoy later.
“If baking in a standard muffin tin, reduce cooking time by 5 minutes during the second half of cooking. If using a mini-muffin tin, reduce cooking time to only 15 minutes.”
Standard popover pan, yield = 6
Standard muffin pan, yield = 10
Standard mini muffin pan, yield = 40-48
- per serving
- 7 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 80 milligrams
- 330 milligrams
- 16 grams
- 1 grams
- 10 grams
- 114 milligrams