Summer Tomato Cheese Pie with Cheddar
When you’re hankering to put some Lowcountry South in your mouth, nothing does it better than this classic.
- 1 15-ounce package refrigerated (2) pie crusts
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, oregano or favorite combination)
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced including some green tops
6 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1½ cups)
- ⅓ cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 450°F.
- FOLLOW package directions to prepare crusts. Line bottom crust with foil and fill with pie weights, raw rice or dried beans. Bake in preheated oven 8 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly. Reduce temperature to 350°F.
- LAYER tomatoes, herbs, onions and cheese evenly in pie shell. Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper and spread over evenly.
- PLACE second crust over top, crimp edges to seal and use a sharp paring knife to cut 4 steam vents on top.
- BAKE until top crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to set before slicing.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 24 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 9 grams
- 30 milligrams
- 595 milligrams
- 23 grams
- 3 grams
- 10 grams
- 220 milligrams