Vegetable Mac and Cheese Recipe
Mac & Cheese
Everyone loves mac and cheese! This recipe highlights the season’s vegetables while keeping true to the spirit of the ultimate comfort food. Some vegetable suggestions include: bell peppers, broccoli, butternut squash, cauliflower, carrots, onions, tomatoes, zucchini or yellow squash.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked (about 1¾ cups) regular, whole wheat, chickpea, etc.
- Salted water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 cup vegetables, shredded or diced
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
2 tablespoons King Arthur All-Purpose Flour or King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup whole milk
¼ cup Cabot Sour Cream or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 2 Cups), or Mac & Cheese Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- COOK elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Be sure to add ¼ teaspoon salt to the water used to boil the noodles. Drain, but do not rinse, and set aside.
- ADD olive oil and diced/shredded veggies to a medium sauté pan and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat for 4-6 minutes until the veggies are soft but slightly firm. Remove from heat and set aside.
- MIX flour, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and garlic powder together in a small bowl, set aside. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add flour mixture and whisk to combine. Cook this paste for 1 minute until mixture is slightly golden brown. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Add Sour Cream or Greek yogurt and whisk until smooth. Cook on medium-high heat until the mixture is thickened (about 3-5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Do not let it boil. Once mixture is thick (sticks to the back of the spatula), reduce heat to low and add cheese a little at a time. Whisk until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Taste and add more salt/seasoning if desired.
- ADD cooked elbow macaroni to the pot of cheese sauce and stir until the sauce is evenly distributed. Add sautéed veggies and stir. Serve warm!
- * STORE in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. You may need to add another 1 – 2 tablespoons of milk to make the mac and cheese creamy again after storing.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 33 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 17 grams
- 90 milligrams
- 910 milligrams
- 55 grams
- 3 grams
- 25 grams
- 513 milligrams