Grilled Cheese and Wine Pairing Suggestions
It’s hard to imagine what could make great grilled cheese sandwich even more enticing. We submit that a glass of fine wine can!
Whether you’re making a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich in your skillet with butter and good bread or you are channeling Rocco diSpirrito or Carla Hall by creating a delectable gourmet offering, pairing your grilled cheese with the perfect wine will make it a special occasion.
There is room for serious creativity here! But to get you started, our wonderful friends at Wine Sisterhood have some great tips for you.
- When in doubt go with a full-bodied white like Chardonnay. The wine will always complement the buttery bread, no matter what is inside.
- Another no brainer – Bubbly! Bubbly goes with any cheese and any sandwich, any time!
- Slightly sweet white wines like Riesling or Moscato will pair nicely with any sandwich that has a spicy kick.
- Adding any sort of “green” like pesto or arugula, go with a light bodied wine with some acid like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
- Light- to medium-bodied red, with reasonable acidity like a Pinot Noir or Merlot works well with any combination of cheddar and turkey, ham or bacon sandwich.
- Cheddar and Cabernet Sauvignon are the perfect pair! Really, you can’t go wrong here!
Grilled Cheese Florentine & Middle Sister Drama Queen Pinot Grigio
Pesto, Vermont Sharp and Arugula & Girl and Dragon Pinot Grigio
Piperade and Sharp Cheddar with Lemon Zest and Capers & Middle Sister Goodie Two-Shoes Pinot Noir
The Clubber – Turkey, Tomato, Cheddar, and Avocado & Girl and Dragon Cabernet Sauvignon
Garlic Herb Grilled Cheese with Fresh Tomato and Anchovy Aioli & Middle Sister Smarty Pants Chardonnay
BBQ Shredded Chicken with Pepper Jack Cheddar and Mashed Avocado & Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red
Heaven in Vermont & Middle Sister Sweet and Sassy Moscato
Buffalo Chicken and Pepper Grilled Cheese & Girl and Dragon Malbec
Classic Cheddar Grilled Cheese & Monogamy Cabernet Sauvignon
Farm Girl’s Fave & Purple Cowboy Cabernet Sauvignon
Griddled Rachel Sandwich & Middle Sister Rebel Red
Ver-Monte Christo & Middle Sister Wild One Malbec