How to Build the Perfect Power Bowl
There’s a lot to love about Power Bowls. These delicious and nutritious dinners are trending up because they’re so simple to make and full of health benefits. We love that you can easily make them ahead of time, too. Pack them up for nutritious lunches on the go or leave them in the fridge for a ready-to-eat dinner at the end of a busy day.
Follow our go-fast tips (like: buy pre-chopped veg!), plus simple step-by-step instructions to make your own power bowls, customized to your liking. Bonus: we’ve included better-for-you tips from a Registered Dietitian, below!
Choose Your Base
1+ cups leafy greens
Lettuce: butter, romaine, red leaf, green leaf, mixed greens, etc.
TIP: Purchase pre-washed and chopped greens, or prep your greens so they’re ready for quick assembly
Choose Your Fiber Packed Carbohydrates
Add Fiber-Packed Carbohydrates:
½ cup – 1 cup of whole grains or complex carbohydrates
- Brown Rice
- Wheat Berries
Add Complex Carbohydrates:
- Squash: acorn, butternut, delicata
- Sweet Potatoes
- Batch cook whole grains for the week.
- Meal prep veggies by roasting for the week.
- Buy pre-chopped squash, sweet potatoes, etc. to trim down on prep time.
- Buy pre-cooked options from the hot bar or salad bar of the grocery store.
Pack on the Produce
It's recommended that you eat five servings of fruit or vegetables a day. A serving equals one-half cup!
1+ cup of any of these raw, steamed, roasted vegetables:
- Brussels Sprouts
- Green Beans
Wash and chop veggies in advance
Power up with Protein
3 oz. combined
- Cabot Cheddar, cubed or grated
- Greek yogurt
- Fish: shrimp, salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Meat: poultry, beef, turkey, etc.
- Beans/Pulses: chickpeas, black beans, cannellini beans, lentils, etc.
- Tofu, tempeh, edamame
1-2 Tbsp combined
- Avocado (¹⁄₈ of fruit)
- Nuts (1 – 2 Tbsp.)
- Olives (8 – 10 each)
- Seeds (1 – 2 Tbsp.)
- Tahini or nut butter (1 – 2 Tbsp.)
- Oils: olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil (~ 1 Tbsp)
6 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 small garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 tsp. maple syrup
Salt, to taste
Combine and shake in a mason jar.
Powerful Protein Rich Recipes