10 Minute Lactose-Free Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
Makes 4 side-dish or 2 main-dish servings
We’re all busy these days, and it’s hard to set aside time to cook a healthy meal for the whole family. However this recipe for quick mac and cheese, which also happens to be lactose-free, is fairly easy to make in less than 10 minutes or so. This particular recipe makes four side-dish servings or two main-dish servings, and it also features some interesting ingredients, like Dijon mustard and Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, which really crank up that flavor factor. After trying this recipe, please make sure to rate and review it and to share any pictures of the meal on Facebook and Twitter.
This lactose-free mac and cheese recipe is fun and simple to make, and all it requires is eight ounces of uncooked small elbow macaroni, rigatoni or penne pasta, a single cup of reduced-fat, lactose-free milk, cornstarch and cheddar cheese. For this recipe, we suggest using Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, but Cabot Alpine Cheddar, Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar can also be used too. Crumbling a little bacon on top once everything is cooked is also a great way to add a little extra savory flavor to the dish.
Cabot understands just how important it is to eat right, which is why we do our best to feature recipes like this lactose-free mac and cheese recipe. We take a great deal of pride in our award-winning cheeses, and we know that this dish, which features an enticing blend of our cheddar cheeses, will be a popular one. We also can’t wait to hear how your family liked this dish. Once you’ve made it, rate and review this and all our mac and cheese recipes and let us know how we can improve them!
- 8 ounces uncooked small elbow macaroni, rigatoni or penne pasta
- 1 cup reduced-fat lactose-free milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon warm water
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Vermont Sharp Cheddar, or Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- COOK the pasta of your choice in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 7 minutes, or per package directions.
- SIMMER the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to bubble on the edges. Stir often so it doesn’t scorch on bottom of pan.
- DISSOLVE the cornstarch in the water in a small cup or bowl and add to the warm milk in the saucepan. Stir continuously until sauce is simmering and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- ADD the grated cheese, mustard and salt, and stir well.
- DRAIN the pasta well and combine with the sauce.
- SERVE topped with bacon, if desired.
- per serving
- 288 milligrams
- 11.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 35 milligrams
- 1101 milligrams
- 47 grams
- 2 grams
- 16.5 grams