Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
For a delicious twist on breadsticks that will have you eating your vegetables, try this Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks recipe! With just five basic ingredients (not including water, salt, and pepper) and our step-by-step instructions, you’ll be enjoying these cauliflower breadsticks before you know it. After you’ve made them, please share the recipe with family and friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter
First comes the cauliflower preparation, which is the most time consuming (but not difficult) part of this recipe. After coring one head of cauliflower and cutting it into florets, process it in a food processer (in two batches) until the cauliflower resembles fine rice. Then steam the cauliflower in a large saucepan with a cover until the cauliflower is very soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cauliflower cool for approximately 30 minutes in a colander lined with a clean linen towel. Once cooled, remove excess moisture from the cauliflower as explained below.
Next, whisk 1 large egg with salt and pepper in a large bowl and then stir in cauliflower to combine. Add about ¾ cup grated Cabot Sharp Cheddarand stir to combine. Preheat oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly mist the parchment with cooking spray.
On the parchment paper, pat the cauliflower mixture into a rectangle of about 9 by 11 inches. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the mixture is dried out and beginning to brown. Top with remaining 1¼ cup of Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste), and ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning. Put back in oven to bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Cool for about 10 minutes and then slice into 16 rectangular breadsticks.
If you want another healthy and tasty recipe for breadsticks, then you’ll have to make our Cabot Cheese & Chive Matzo Meal Breadsticks. Cabot is a cooperative of New York and New England farm families who all work diligently to produce only the highest quality products. We’d love for you to share your thoughts about these cauliflower breadsticks. If you could rate and review it after you’ve tried it, we’d really appreciate it!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly mist parchment with cooking spray.
- CORE cauliflower and cut into florets. Process in food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment, in two batches, until the cauliflower looks like fine rice. Place 3 tablespoons water in the bottom of a large sauce pan. Add the cauliflower mixture. Cover and steam over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is very soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Line a colander with a clean linen towel. Scrape the cauliflower mixture into the towel, and let sit to cool, about 30 minutes. Wrap cauliflower up into a bundle, and then squeeze bundle from the top down to remove the excess moisture from the cauliflower. Continue squeezing for several minutes until the ball of cauliflower is about half its original size and you have squeezed out about 1 cup of liquid.
- WHISK egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower and stir to combine. Add 3 ounces (about ¾ cup) grated Cabot cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- PAT cauliflower mixture out onto the parchment into a rectangle, about 9 by 11 inches. Bake until the mixture is dried out and the edges are starting to brown, 15 to 17 minutes.
- TOP with the remaining 6 ounces cheese grated (1¼ cup), crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning and return to the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing in half lengthwise once and then crosswise eight times to form 16 rectangular breadsticks.
- per serving
- 5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2.5 grams
- 25 milligrams
- 150 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 1 grams
- 5 grams
- 115 milligrams