Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes & Cheddar
6 side dish servings
Grilled Eggplant is a great healthy meal and makes a perfect summer dish! It’s light, healthy, lactose free, and pleasantly filling—great as a side or on its own! It only takes a couple minutes to prep the eggplant with oil and fresh herbs. Then toss it on the grill and fire it up alongside chicken or kabobs. Once the eggplant has been browned and is nice and tender, top it off with 4 ounces of Cabot Sharp Cheddar to add some cheesy, melty goodness. Fresh diced tomatoes complement the smoky spices and eggplant. If you want exciting new grilled eggplant recipes, this dish is a must try! Please rate and review the dish to share your thoughts and feedback!
Grilled eggplant recipes never get old with veggie lovers. Whether you want to try something entirely new or want a fresh variation on a family favorite, this recipe has something for everyone! You can feel good about what you’re serving, as this dish makes a great healthy meal. It’s hearty without being too filling and light enough for a summer picnic. Serve it up and watch it fly off the plate.
Once you’ve wiped your plate clean, don’t forget to head back over and let us know how you enjoyed the dish. Cabot is dedicated to producing the highest quality dairy products and cheeses on the planet. You’ll be able to taste the difference that our award-winning cheddar cheese makes in this tasty grilled eggplant dish. Feel free to share any tips or tricks on how you added your own unique twist to the recipe.
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large eggplant (1½ pounds total)
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- CHOP garlic; sprinkle with salt and mash into puree with blade of knife held sideways. Scrape garlic-salt mixture into small bowl.
- ADD oil, oregano and pepper and stir until garlic-salt mixture is well blended.
- PREHEAT gas or charcoal grill to medium.
- CUT off and discard thin lengthwise slice from each side of eggplant; cut remaining eggplant lengthwise into about six slices, each about ½-inch thick. Brush both sides of slices with some of oil mixture, scooping up solids and using it all.
- GRILL until browned on both sides and very tender all the way to center, 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- SPRINKLE half of eggplant slices with some of cheese, then tomato; top each with another eggplant slice, pressing it into place.
- TRANSFER to serving dish with metal spatula; cut each slice in half crosswise. Serve warm.
- per serving
- 15.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4.5 grams
- 321 milligrams
- 8 grams
- 3.5 grams
- 6 grams
- 153 milligrams