Light & Classic Lasagna
A dinnertime staple, lasagna is a classic dish that’s flavorful and filling. If you’re interested in making lasagna for the family tonight, consider trying our classic lasagna recipe. While most lasagna recipes call for a heavy helping of ricotta cheese, our recipe only features half the average amount, substituting in creamy Greek yogurt. In the end, the lasagna is brimming with flavor, but it’s also fairly light too! After trying our lasagna, please share the recipe with your friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
Ready to try our quick lasagna recipe? You’ll need a number of ingredients to get started, including a pound of lean ground beef, garlic, salt, ground black pepper, zucchini, Cabot two percent plain Greek yogurt (or Cabot plain Greek Yogurt), cornstarch, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, oregano, marinara sauce, one package of no-boil lasagna noodles, and 12 ounces of Cabot Monterey Jack, Cabot Mild Cheddar or Cabot Shredded Mozzarella Cheese. The directions below highlight everything you need to know about making the lasagna. Keep in mind that while you’re not using as much ricotta as you would for other lasagna recipes, adding beef and veggies will help to ratchet up that flavor factor.
We hope you enjoy our classic lasagna recipe. If you like Italian flavor, then consider trying our spinach, cheese and ham cannelloni. Much like the lasagna, it’s a relatively light dish that’s still incredibly delicious. Cabot is a cooperative of over 800 farm families. We understand how important it is to only serve the best to your family at dinner. That’s why we work around the clock to produce the best cheeses and dairy products. We want to make sure that you enjoy our lasagna recipe. After trying it, please rate and review it.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90%)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated zucchini (optional)
1 cup Cabot Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup part-skim or regular ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (24-ounce) jar favorite marinara sauce (about 2½ cups)
- 1 (9-ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles (uncooked) or about 9 slightly undercooked regular lasagna noodles
12 ounces Cabot Monterey Jack or Cabot Mild Cheddar, grated (about 3 cups) or 1½ (8-ounce) package Cabot Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- PREHEAT oven to 375ºF.
- PLACE large skillet over medium-high heat; when hot, add ground beef and cook, breaking up with spoon, for several minutes until juices have cooked away and beef is lightly browned.
- ADD garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer until garlic is fragrant. Stir in salt and pepper. Stir in zucchini, if using and remove skillet from heat.
- WHISKtogether yogurt and cornstarch until completely smooth with no small lumps; add ricotta, ½ cup of Parmesan, eggs and oregano and whisk together thoroughly.
- SPREAD ⅓ cup of marinara sauce over bottom of 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with 4 noodles, slightly overlapping (no-boil noodles will expand during cooking).
SPREAD half of ricotta/yogurt mixture over noodles. Top with half of ground beef mixture. Spread ¾ cup of marinara sauce on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup of grated Monterey Jack, cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
- ARRANGE 4 more noodles on top of cheese, followed by remaining ricotta mixture, remaining beef mixture, another ¾ cup of marinara and another cup of cheese.
- ADD final layer of noodles. Top with remaining ½ cup or so of marinara, then sprinkle with remaining cup of grated cheese and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- COVER dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover dish and return to oven for 12 to 15 minutes longer or until bubbling on edges and browned on top. Let rest for about 5 minutes to settle, then cut into pieces and serve.
- per serving
- 29.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 14 grams
- 147 milligrams
- 1010 milligrams
- 42 grams
- 3.5 grams
- 39.5 grams
- 622 milligrams