The Ver-Monte Cristo Sandwich
Our Monte Cristo Sandwich, featured in the new Cabot Creamery Cookbook, is an easy and yummy twist on this classic ham and cheese sandwich – and an extremely satisfying one at that! If you’re not familiar with the original Monte Cristo, it’s made with ham, cheese, a bit of mustard, and mayonnaise, then dipped in egg, and cooked just like French toast. Here, we use ham or cooked sausage patties, grated Cheddar, Granny Smith apple slices, a thinly sliced shallot or small onion, and apple cider vinegar. You are going to love this version! Share the recipe on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter and your friends and family will be glad you did.
To make 4 servings, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Add the bread slices, turning to coat with mixture, and set aside to soak.
Melt 1 tablespoon of Cabot Unsalted Butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat and add Granny Smith apple slices and shallot or onion, cooking until tender. Add the apple cider vinegar and cook for another minute, then remove from heat and set aside.
Melt the remaining unsalted butter in large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Remove the bread slices from the egg mixture and cook in skillet for about two minutes on each side. Layer the grated Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Garlic Herb Cheddar, cooked sausage or ham, and apple mixture evenly over two bread slices. Top with the remaining two bread slices.
Cook for one minute or until golden on bottom, then turn the sandwiches over and cook for another minute, until the second side is golden and the cheese is melted. Cut sandwiches in half and enjoy warm.
For another cheese sandwich you’ll love, try our Grilled Cabot Cheddar & Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches. As a co-operative of over 800 farm families, Cabot is dedicated to creating the highest quality products and recipes that best showcase the fresh flavors of our products. Please share your thoughts on this Ver-Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe after you’ve tried it by rating and reviewing it.
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices favorite local bread, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1 whole shallot or very small onion, julienned or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Garlic Herb Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
2 large thick slices Dakin Farm Ham or cooked sausage patties
- WHISK together eggs, half-and-half and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add bread slices, turning to coat with mixture, and set aside to soak.
- MELT 1 tablespoon of butter in small skillet over medium-high heat; add apple slices and shallot or onion and cook until tender. Add vinegar and cook for one minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- MELT remaining butter in large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Remove bread slices from egg mixture (discard remaining egg mixture) and cook in skillet for about two minutes on each side.
- LAYER cheese, ham or sausage, and apple mixture evenly over two of bread slices. Top with remaining two bread slices.
- COOK for one minute or until golden on underside. Turn sandwiches over and cook for one minute longer, or until sandwich is golden on second side and cheese is melted. Cut in half and serve warm.
- per serving
- 31 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 217 milligrams
- 698 milligrams
- 50 grams
- 3 grams
- 23.5 grams
- 320 milligrams