Beet & Orange Salad with Cheddar
4 entrée salads, 4 cups each
This beet orange salad is a bold combination of greens, fresh oranges, beets, chunks of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese, and spiced nuts. We’ve dressed it with a simple, yet flavorful, homemade dressing with orange, Dijon mustard, garlic, apple cider vinegar, honey, and olive oil. You will love how nourishing, satisfying, and refreshing this salad is! Be sure to share the recipe on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter with your family and friends.
To make four entrée salads, begin by covering the beets with water in a medium saucepan, then covering the saucepan with a lid, and bringing to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, remove lid, and simmer until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 to 55 minutes. Drain and cool on a cutting board. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel then and cut into bite-sized wedges.
Next, make the dressing. Cut away the peel of two oranges and cut into segments. Juice the remaining orange. Puree the orange juice, garlic, oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, and salt in a blender until smooth.
Combine the romaine, endive, and radicchio in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the greens and toss to combine. Divide salad among 4 plates and top each plate with beets, orange segments, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, and spiced nuts. Drizzle each salad with the remaining dressing and dig in!
Looking for another healthy and scrumptious salad? Check out our Spicy Arugula, Cheddar, and Apple Salad. As a cooperative of New England and New York farm families, Cabot takes a lot of pride in making our award-winning dairy products. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this beet orange salad, so please rate and review the recipe once you’ve made it.
- 3 medium beets, trimmed
- 3 oranges
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed and peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 2 hearts of Romaine, chopped, washed and spun dry
- 6 cups mixed greens, loosely packed
- ½ small head radicchio, chopped, washed and spun dry
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, cut into small chunks
- ½ cup spiced nuts, purchased or home-made
- COVER beets with water in a medium saucepan, cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, remove lid and simmer until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, 40 to 55 minutes. Drain and cool on a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into bite-sized wedges.
- CUT away the peel of two oranges and cut into segments. Juice the remaining orange. Puree the orange juice, garlic, oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon and salt in a blender until smooth.
COMBINE Romaine, endive and radicchio in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the greens and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt to taste if desired.
DIVIDE among 4 plates. Top with beets, orange segments, Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar and spiced nuts. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, dividing evenly.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Can be prepared through step 2 up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate cooked beet wedges, orange segments and dressing separately.
- per serving
- 32 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 9 grams
- 30 milligrams
- 810 milligrams
- 31 grams
- 8 grams
- 15 grams
- 313 milligrams