Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
8 to 12
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1¼ cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, uncooked
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup milk
½ cup Cabot Sour Cream
8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Yellow Cheddar, shredded (about 2 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, melted
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- CUT chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with Italian seasoning and desired amount of salt and pepper. (If using rotisserie cooked chicken skip steps 1 and 2 and just cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.)
- HEAT butter in a large pot over medium heat until melted. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- ADD the chicken broth, olive oil, and rice to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 7 minutes.
- ADD the fresh broccoli and replace the cover. Cook for 8 more minutes. Do not stir!
- TURN off the heat and leave the cover on. Let the rice stand for 10 minutes, do not stir. Any rice on the bottom of the pot will release.
- ADD the cooked chicken, canned soup, milk, sour cream, optional seasonings, and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- PLACE mixture in prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- BAKE for 30 minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Note: To freeze this casserole, cover the pan with foil and freeze. When you’re ready to serve, thaw in the fridge overnight or cook straight from the freezer. Plan a full extra hour to bake if cooking from frozen and not pre-baked. Make sure to include the directions on top of the foil so you will be ready when it’s time to cook.
- Serving Size
- 1/12 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 50 milligrams
- 540 milligrams
- 25 grams
- 1 grams
- 14 grams
- 185 milligrams