Parsnip Leek Soup
Soups Stews & Chili
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and diced into 2” chunks
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2” chunks
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, green stalks removed with the white ends diced and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ADD the parsnip and potatoes to a large stock pot and fill it with water just to cover them and bring it to a boil.
- COOK the parsnips and potatoes until an inserted knife cuts through them easily.
- ADD the olive oil and leeks to a Dutch oven over low heat while the parsnips and potatoes are boiling, and sauté them until they are tender and slightly translucent. Stir them occasionally to prevent them from browning too quickly.
- ADD the garlic to the leeks and continue to sauté for another minute or two.
- DRAIN the parsnips and potatoes when they are fully cooked and add them to the leeks in the Dutch oven. Pour in the stock and season with kosher salt.
- PUREE the soup carefully and completely by blending it in batches in a large blender or by using a hand immersion blender in the Dutch oven.
- TRANSFER the smooth and fully blended soup back into the original Dutch oven and heat gently over low heat.
- ADD the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar to the soup and stir until cheese completely melts.
- SEASON with thyme, black pepper, and additional salt to taste if necessary.
- SERVE with crusty bread, croutons, and an additional tablespoon of cheese on top to garnish.
- Serving Size
- 1/6 recipe
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 16 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 207 milligrams
- 810 milligrams
- 42 grams
- 6 grams
- 8 grams
- 11 grams
- 203 milligrams